Monday, May 1, 2017

Scholarship essay 3

James Saling

Course Hero

Scholarship Essay

What makes a hero?

             What makes someone a hero ? A hero comes in many forms and can be even only in the eye of the beholder. There are average everyday people that a single act of heroism can turn them into someone special in everyone's eyes . So when it pertains to a “course hero” it is hard not to let this title fall on the instructor of the course itself.

          When registering for classes a course name alone jumps off the page and it's description alone intrigues enough to make someone sign up for it that is a good sign that it's probably right up your alley as the saying goes . Now if the professor is listed and reviews about him are nothing but raving compliments this makes a solid foundation of what has the making of a “course hero” worthy essay.  

            “Race and Gender in the Media” is the course name and even though this is suppose to be an essay about me and my work and studying and what made me score the grade I did I instead had to make this about the real course hero which is the instructor Alan Miller .

          This course provided by American River College as part of their communication AA or AA transfer degree program is for those interested in journalism , becoming a writer or even someone just wanting to further their own critical thinking skills . The class syllabus is basically the outline , for lack of a better term , the blueprint for a “fun ride" . So then comes the “Devil's advocate” . Allen Miller likes to introduce himself as this upon the beginning of class as he asks everyone to introduce themselves . By adopting this m.o. he takes on the unique task of raising eyebrows ,issues and even students gander in the hope to spark debates and great conversations .

         So why make him the course hero? Well the premise of the essay topic is to explain how I succeeded and what I did to succeed and so on . My success had very little to do with myself more than the professor his guidance , understanding and compassion for his students . Therefore I cannot accept the success I had with this course and the outcome of my grade or more importantly the outcome of my character ,resolve and ability to think outside the stratosphere let alone the box .

         As for my grade earned , that is irrelevant however if this was 2 soldiers in a war then then I'd probably receive the purple heart and my professor Alan Miller would have to be awarded the “Medal of Honor”. He is truly a “Course Hero” that any young mind should feel privileged to receive mentoring from.

No comments:

Post a Comment